Citycon Code of Conduct
The Citycon Code of Conduct (Code of Conduct) lays the foundation for business operations, environmental issues, human rights and relations with our employees and stakeholders.
Citycon’s key purpose is to develop and maintain an economically sound and prosperous business. Within the scope of its operations, Citycon assumes responsibility for all issues it has the authority to control.
Citycon operates with a high degree of integrity and ethics, and complies with applicable statutory requirements in all of its operating countries.
Citycon does not support activities of any political parties or other political groups. Political parties can arrange electoral campaign events in Citycon's shopping centres, in accordance with the centre’s normal leasing practices.
We say a categorical ‘no’ to corruption and bribery
As one of its ethical business principles, Citycon is utterly opposed to corruption and bribery. Citycon and persons acting on its behalf must not offer or accept any benefits, or in any other way engage in actions that could influence their ability to make objective and honest decisions, or which are aimed at affecting objective and honest decision-making by a public authority, client, partner or any other party.
Citycon employees must avoid any activity that could lead to a conflict of interest, and employees must not accept bribery in any form. Employees must not accept or offer business gifts or hospitality, apart from gifts of only token monetary value or reasonable hospitality offered during the ordinary course of business. Guidelines for suitable representation practices related to customer related travelling are presented in the Travel and Representation Policy covering all Citycon personnel.
Citycon’s management and personnel are committed to promoting the achievement of the environmental goals and targets set by the company.
In order to achieve its environmental goals, Citycon
- takes the environment into account in all operative functions
- complies with statutory rules and regulations, and prepares in advance for future legislative changes through active monitoring of developments within society
- continuously develops the steering, management and reporting of environmental practices
- expects its partners to operate in a way that supports the fulfilment of Citycon’s environmental goals
- ensures that the company’s environmental policies are available to all stakeholders
- guides its personnel towards taking responsibility for environmental issues through training and internal communications.
Respect for Human Rights
Within its sphere of influence and laws and regulations in the countries where Citycon operates, Citycon respects and supports the principles of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which, in addition to equality, include civil and political rights, economic, social and cultural rights.
Within its sphere of influence and laws and regulations in the countries where Citycon operates, Citycon respects and supports the ILO Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work. The principles are freedom of association and effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining; the elimination of all forms of forced or compulsory labour; the effective abolition of child labour; and the elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation.
Citycon gives high priority to promoting and maintaining equal opportunities in the working community. Each individual is respected and treated fairly and equally, regardless of gender, belief, age or similar factors.
Citycon undertakes to
- work actively and purposefully to promote equality in the working community
- ensure equal recruitment, training and career development opportunities for women and men of different ages
- ensure equal pay for the same work (the same work means that, in view of local conditions, key job requirements, skills and training, responsibility and work load are at the same level)
- ensure that the working environment and working conditions do not represent a barrier to equal opportunities
- promote a healthy balance between family and working life, and
- provide working conditions where no one is subject to unfair treatment.
Compliance with Citycon Code of Conduct
The meaning of the Citycon Code of Conduct is explained through internal communications and training. Citycon requires its management and employees to fully embrace these principles and act accordingly. In addition, Citycon and its stakeholders engage in dialogue on the principles underlying ethical operations.
When possible and feasible, Citycon employees are encouraged to raise questions and report on issues relating to the Code of Conduct, and any problems detected in terms of compliance with guidelines, to their supervisors.
Within its sphere of influence, Citycon aims to ensure that its partners and contractors also adhere to Citycon’s ethical principles. This is the foundation of all our business relationships, both new and those already in existence.
“Citycon Code of Conduct” has been approved by the Board of Directors on 12 July 2011.